Turbo diesels get better milage for two reasons:

Better volumetric efficiency (higher effective compression ratio)

Better gearing (engine turns slower, so you get better torque usage).

They also produce more power, so you use power less time while accelerating, and you can get the same power from a smaller displacement engine, although this is much less of an issue for diesels than gassers since diesels aren't throttled and hence do not suffer from the very low charge density problems gassers have.

The difference is not huge, probably only a couple mpg. Nicer to drive the diesel, though. Diesel engines are fuel regulated, and you can tell if you drive at 55 mph vs 75 mph -- my milage on the 603 drops from 30 plus for to and from work (max speed 60 mph) to around 29 at 70 and 28.5 if I drive 75. Faster than that, it drops to 27 or so. More load means more fuel burned, and gearing doesn't have huge effects here.

Peter