Cut from top, shiny side. Stay away from edge 'cept for fine filing, etc. Drill, cut, file inward of shiny, finished surface; cutting outward will chip shiny surface, possibly more that you want, i. e., bigger than desired hole.

Yeah, practice on an old one if possible.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "OK Don" <okd...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Interesting conversions about 124 wood,

 I am forever trying to find decent wood work for my TE but it's hard.
For instance the stuff in Oz is usually sunburnt and the varnish
cracks/fades.
The UK is a good source but most 124's didn't come with A/C hence no hole for the controls. Or the bottom bit has no holes for power windows.

Hendrik
who has cracks in the woodwork

I'd look for one with too few holes, and add the ones I needed. Practice
cutting/drilling new holes in your old panel before starting in on the
"new" one.
OK Don, who needs to go and cut new holes in the Cessna's instrument panel.

2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG
1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager
1957 C182A