In preparing last weekend for our trip to the greater Phoenix area this
week, I noticed that I last changed oil on our '95 E320 7500 miles and
more than a year ago (a problem when you have extended oil changes and
don't drive too much). With some help from a neighbor and his son, we
used the Topsider and changed the oil (Mobil1 0W-40) and filter and
rotated the tires LF -> LR, LR -> RF, RF -> RR, RR -> LF.

So, 1224 miles, two doctor's appointments, and a couple of MRIs later, we
are back home. We left about 1030 on Monday morning, made it to Holbrook,
AZ, after the snowstorm had blown through and the roads to that point were
clear. We then abandoned I-40 and took side roads through Heber-Overgaard
and Payson into Chandler, AZ, arriving at 2100. Some of the side roads,
like 260, were snow-packed, but the Nokian WRG2s handled things just
fine. On the way back yesterday, we took I-17 north out of Phoenix, had
lunch in Flagstaff, and drove I-40 east to Albuquerque. North on I-25 to
Santa Fe and 84/285 and NM 502 brought us back to Los Alamos last night
shortly after 2100.

The car performed just fine. 75 mph on the Interstates was enjoyable and,
except for all of the semis on I-40, stressless. Despite this car's
cruise control's setting idiosyncracies, having the cruise control was a
big help. I noticed in Phoenix that the upshift delay started working, but
didn't take time to try to clear the Check Engine Light.

The neurosurgeon there said I have severe compression of my spinal cord
and said he wanted me in a cervical collar immediately in case I fall or
am in an automobile accident before the surgery. His staff is arranging
the surgery, which will be in 3 - 6 weeks.

Craig