On 08/03/2013 3:40 PM, Gerry Archer wrote:

How does the cost to purchase compare with a same vintage Honda Civic?
I don't know what it is like where you folks are, but around here a Ford of any sort will depreciate much faster than a Honda and the Honda will be pretty bullet proof for a lot of miles. Based upon that, if I could buy a Honda for similar money up front, I would go with it as it will likely be worth more in a few years time than the Ford.
Randy

Around here Hondas cost more than an equivalent size Ford and don't get close to the same fuel mileage. Grand daughter has an Accord that she's been happy with for 4 or 5 years. I drove it but didn't like it. Honda was once a reliability champ but lately they have slipped, or so I've read. I've looked at Hondas and Toyotas and I'm not happy with the local dealers whose salesmen feel they are doing you a favor by waiting on you. Son bought a Ford (I forget the name) hybrid two years ago and he's racked up about 60K miles with no repairs. He averages about 37-43 mpg but it's a heavier car.
Gerry

My wife has a 2007 Honda Accord with the 4 cylinder. Not sure exactly what the fuel mileage is as I don't drive it and she does not bother to keep track. We bought it used with about 23K miles on it and have done nothing apart from change the oil so far as I can recall. She loves it. I think it was only about a year old when we got it.

Randy