Lookin' better!  Might even have an ATTABOY comin'.   ;<)

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:02 PM
Subject: [MBZ] OT car shopping experience

I went out today to look at some inexpensive transportation appliances for the boy. Went to the Ford dealer to look at Foci and Fiestas. The Fiestas looked way too small so concentrated on the Foci. The local dealer had a few, one hatchback I liked, low-end basic with only auto transmission. Sticker like $21k, the guy said he could do something there with rebates and whatnot, I told him I would get back to him. Looked at some used cars, not a lot lower in price for something low-miles. Used market seems quite high.

So I get home and remember Costco had some kind of car-buying program I had read about in their magazine. So I get on and take a look at that, no Ford dealer in their net in my area. Rang them up, WTH? Guy said I could look elsewhere by changing my zip code, so I put in the boy's DC zip, a dealer in Columbia MD pops up, they have a bunch in stock with internet no-haggle prices like $5k lower than list, so right around $16k. That looks better.

A little while ago a guy from the dealer calls me (I guess he got my info off the Costco site, hmmmm), asks what I am interested in, told him a car for the boy who is in school, he says he can knock another $500 off those prices, then he said something about another $500 but I did not catch that. Anyway he is sending me detailed cost info with financing options, sent me the details on 3 cars (which I could also see on their web site). No pressure, no rush, very helpful, just wanting to move a commodity as easy as he and I can. About 10min of work for the sales guy and me and we could close the deal, he said he would Fedex the paperwork, get it all set up, could pick up the car anytime.

I am impressed with this internet thing, will probably decide next coupla weeks what to do. I have to call the local guy and give him a chance, but I don't think they are used to moving iron like soda pop.

--R