Not my experience, here in the Low Country.  For the most part very clean.
There are some loosers who litter, but enough folks that care that it gets
picked up quickly.

Southern Italy, Naples area to be exact, VERY trashed, really a shame.  Litter
and refuse all over.  Extremely beautiful country, most friendly people you'll
ever meet, best food on earth, trash along every roadway.

We were in Venice last year, saw locals throw their trash in the canals all the
time.  Amazingly trashy.

--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC