That was my immediate thought as well.
If there is power to the solenoid, it should try to kick in unless the solenoid is bad.

Unfortunately, with diesels of this vintage (at least on mine) you can't just turn the key on and off a few times to see if it catches. When the solenoid contacts were going bad on our 4Runner, I could get it to go like that. Flip the key back and forth and it would catch - the down side was that the cold start injector would fire too so there was a bit of smoke on start up. I know with my car, if I turn the key off, I have to start over again so I cannot just flip the key back on quickly.

Randy