What you have described is known here as a "balloon framed" structure,
which BTW is not allowed by building code anywhere I know of if, as you
describe, the studs are two story.

The fix you propose is less than an perfect fix, but likely your only
option.  I would suggest you clean, glue and clamp the sister stud onto the
solid portion of the existing stud with good overlap to engage as much
structure as possible.

Also.. check your local building codes to see if such repair is allowed..
Might be an insurance concern?

Grant...

Balloon framing normally refers to a scenario where a long stud extends all of the way from the bottom plate to the top plate on a 2 storey wall.
I doubt this "shack" is a 2 storey.

Randy