Anyone have any opinions about the reliability/driveability of the older
126 380SE. I found an 85 that appears to be VERY nice.

Well, based entirely upon my driving of a 380SL once I think you'll
find the 380 to be a pretty pedestrian motor.  But that one should
have the double timing chain, and so should be as reliable as any
other gasser MB.  My tastes in 126 gas might be more like the 300 SEL,
which is probably also a bit of a slug but at least is fairly
economical to run.  As a comparison, this friend's 380 SL gets
worse mileage than my 560 SL, and is a lot slower.  Anyway, if
the price is right it could be a decent deal for you, just don't
expect great performance.

-- Jim