dunno' how "good" it is, but this is usually a good place to start for
highway info and shows the traffic info phone number (Cowtrans is
understandably weak for moose sightings,...):
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/
   here's an alternative way to get to what is basically the same info:
http://www.caltrans.ca.gov/

   this one isn't quite as simple to navigate, but is another alternative:
http://www.highwayconditions.com/ca.htm

   you can find others if you do a quick search on "california highway
information".

cheers!