Came across an article describing the system working in conjunction with ESP on the previous A & B Class models. I'd like to imagine that "Steering Assist" also comes into play on the new E with the standard ESP program & possibly the optional lane tracking feature, they're just choosing to market it with Distronic. Hard to say though without any technical info.....

From the article: "Steering assist is designed in a way that it supports a driver in these situations, but never dictates to the driver. The driver may override the systems’ intentions at any time."

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20section/news/individual%20news%20articles/y_050316_bosch_steering-assist.htm