just to make sure we're not comparing Apple to Oranges, what're the sizes of the tanks we're talking about? 450 miles in a tank that holds 22.8 gal (or more) like the one listed below isn't especially great; that's not even 20MPG. is the tank of the 'petrol car' you're referring to anywhere near that large? (most aren't.)

cheers!