I just learned something about air conditioning systems that I did not
know, thought I should pass it along.

While having a new AC hose made for one of my trucks, the AC shop hose guy
ask me if I wanted the "new hose material"... I ask what that was and he
then explained to me that older systems used hoses that were gas permeable
and that feature equated to most of the leak down of freon over time in
older cars. Seems the thought of the day was "freon is cheap, this hose is
good enough, and it's cheap, let's use it" at the car design.

In the "old days" freon was cheap.. I remember buying cans off the shelf
for [summer sale time] $3.00. So if it leaked,, just add more, big deal.

Times have changed. The new hose material costs about $3 a foot more than
the "old stuff" design.. I now have the new stuff.

Could it be the cause of your leak down over time issues on the older
Mercedes?

Grant...
Food for thought...