I don't have an infared temp meter so I have to come
up with something else to get the block temp.

Harbor Freight has them on sale periodically for $50.
Mighty handy.

Now, if the pump is ok, water should come out the
upper radiator hose even with thermostat in, right?

Que?  Flow direction is from top to bottom, and the
thermostat is in series with the top hose to the
radiator.  Trampas' advice is good.

If you insist in replacing the pump and it doesn't
help, be prepared for some ribbing!  It _could_ be
bad, but it's highly unlikely.  We will apologize
profusely if it _is_ bad, and say "Huh.  One for
the books."

How likely is that the temp sensor is bad? Where is

It happens quite a lot, actually.  I'm surprised we all
forgot to recommend an independent test of the gauge
temperature.

the sensor located that is connected to the gauge? I
know there is one right below the thermostat housing
and one near the upper radiator hose. I actually
disconnected both both the gauge still registered
120C. Is there a third temp sensor that I don't know
of?

Look on the side of the head near the middle.  Might
be kind of buried.

-- Jim