thanks,
Folks,

THe best chainsaw that i ever had was an old Poulan pulpwooder's saw, i would call it. It was huge and had a big open bow for a bar. It was only for cutting up logs. You'd put the end of the bow up against the log and there was a casting clamped to bottom of the bow that you put under the log. You would then lift the motor end up and the bow would go deeper and deeper into the log. You could just cut logs on the ground.

I think they are supposed to be incredibly dangerous. Are they even still made. I had mine back in the late 70's to mid 80's when i heated with wood.

It was a bear to start or even to pick up, to drop while holding the starter cord to start it. I could do it fine from age 25 to 35, but i don't know about now, at nearly 59. Once running it was great and never would quit.

I got the machine from my local chainsaw repair guy who would always sell me interesting saws that needed a little work.

I think, that sadly, it was stolen at some point.

Now all i have are a couple of barely used mass marketed Poulans .... maybe a 2150 and a 2300 with bars that are probably too long. They suck. I bought them for probably $5 or $10 each at yard sales. Once running, they are ok, but since much of my living is made cleaning carbs on motor scooters, i have little interest in cleaning chainsaw carbs.

I usually start them with starting fluid for the little bit of cutting that i have to do, normally. Now i have a big tree that i had a crazy guy take down and need to cut up the limbs on the ground.

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

www.javaphoto.com
www.javacycles.com