You would be better off going to a major electric distributor and buy some Machine wire (type MW) It is made with insulation designed to withstand heat, oil, and vibrations, such as the environment in the engine compartment.

Now I have the harness out of the car.

Another discovery: MB has now moved to molded connectors as opposed to those that can be disassembled. Only one of the connectors on the harness are of this type, so I'll have to cut and splice onto the existing wires to make things work. This is especially troublesome at the bulkhead connector, as there are four wires going into the connector in very close proximity to each other. I'll have to heat shrink and insulate these very carefully so there is no potential for them to touch each other.

So now it's shower time and then off to my local Ace Hardware to source some replacement wire of the proper gauge and length.

Dan