I think the basic rule is, it's only "manly" if you liv to tell about it
later. That then translates into breeding rights with the select females of
the tribe.
Just how that translates into "modern civilization" is full of grey areas,
since females no longer "need the tribe or strong males for protection".

Seems the new standard is how low you can wear your pants and pierce your
ears with junk metal?