I agree wholeheartedly. I found that to be true not only in Greenland and Denmark, but also in Thailand, Japan and Mexico - even Ontario and Quebec ;<). It's always best to respect one's hosts and to be a good ambassador. I've always been quickly and fully respected and accepted immediately upon showing respect for and interest their culture and language. That reminds me: On a visit to Quebec City with family in '74, I walked up to hotel desk and asked for room(s), etc., with two or three flawless sentences in French. When the desk clerk's fast-paced response overwhelmed, me, I had to say, "I'm sorry, I've nearly expended my quick-response French, may we, please, revert to English, now?" We both had a good laugh, and he replied, "Yes, of course, and I thank you for trying. You were doing very well, by the way."

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Sondy tale

There is an important lesson in here that I learned as a youngster who was able to travel outside the country:

When visiting other countries/cultures, follow some simple rules:

1.) Respect your host's culture. Never ridicule, disrespect, or dismiss their culture, language, country, etc. Just because you're an American doesn't make you or your country better.

2.) Take a serious interest in your host's culture/language/country. It shows a level of respect that they are due.

3.) Make an effort to participate, even if it means publicly humiliating yourself.

When I traveled as an adult, I went to great lengths to learn what I could about the country I would be visiting, including it's history, language, cultures, current events, etc. The response you will get from people is nothing short of amazing when you show an even limited knowledge of them. I can't count the number of times I was welcomed into complete stranger's homes to meet their families, neighbors, friends, and so on when I expressed an interest in knowing more about them.

I will say this: It can be frightening at times. Be adventuresome. If you don't know the culture, you may be met with strange looks, gasps, whatever, if you act (by their norms) inappropriately. All you can do is excuse yourself and move on. In most cases, your host will help guide you through whatever the situation is - if you're gracious they'll understand you're a foreigner and forgive you.

By being accepting and understanding that others are just as good (or better) than we, you'll have some amazing experiences. Some of the most exciting times and experiences I have ever had in my life were with people I didn't know and will never see again. They made me feel welcome because I respected them and their culture. And I learned some wonderful things about other peoples and places, too.

There is nothing worse than the "Ugly American" who goes to another country and expects things to be the same as they are back home. After all, what's the point?

Dan with over 1,000,000 lifetime flight miles on Northwest alone....