On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Scott Ritchey <ritche...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know the long-term issues of the batteries in these cars?  When
> will the battery require replacement?  What does that cost?  What are the

I don't know specifically for the newer cars, but per the folks who have
done manual conversions:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/evdl-real-world-lithium-battery-lifespani-72611.html

TL;DR 10 years or 100Kmi, they were looking at $6K-$8K for retail lithium
prices last year.  Note that they aren't doing engine oil/belt/etc. changes
and so on (since they are just turning everything directly) so that is the
primary maintenance cost for a true EV.  Most conversions have
transmissions and therefore normal transmission maintenance, I'm not sure
about true manufactured EVs.

> environmental issues in battery recycling/disposal?

Meh, who cares about the environment? :)

Seriously, the electric motor is much more efficient at getting power to
the wheels, and big power plants are more efficient than little ones.
 There was a study (I posted it a long time ago, in the archives) where a
Swiss group found that EVs were slightly worse than IC engines, as long as
you account for the environmental impact of mining battery materials and
making and disposing of the batteries, assume all power is generated by
1980s coal plants, and do not account for the environmental impact of
drilling for and refining oil.  I figure that means EVs are overall a net
positive environmentally, though to be honest my primary interest has been
in the wallet benefit (hence I have not yet bought one).

Best,
-Tim