So this friend of my wife's, a guy she used to work with, we all hung out together now and then, did some work as a contractor for one of those big "development" banks that made massive "loans" to tird-world countries. This was in the 70s and early 80s. He was a pretty smart guy though a bit odd in some ways, not that that mattered much. We sorta lost touch, though we would get Christmas cards and the occasional phone call. He married this woman who was very nice, a lawyer or something, she and my wife hit it off. She put us on to this guy who was the captain of Tubby Burnham's yacht, back before his company crashed, we would hang with him on Tubby's boat in Nantucket when he and the fam were not there but the boat was summering, kinda cool chillin on a big yacht, having bevvies before supper.

So some few years ago my wife gets this book in the mail from him that he had written, Confessions of an Economic Terrorist, that was a tell-all about his days working for these banks (and I vaguely recall he might have been "mobbed-up" with the CIA boys in Central America back when all that craziness was going on down there, but I am not entirely sure about that. Probably though as all this money business was likely funneling through them.). So basically, all the do-goodygoody stuff he was spouting back when about helping the downtrodden masses, blahblah turns out to be bovine shite.

I heard him some time later on NPR I think, talking about this book and how he got "converted" from the dark side (it appears to have involved various jungle chemicals and voodoo kinds of stuff with shamans and such in the wilds of Peru and the Amazon, which he enthusiastically alluded to in some of their Christmas cards). He sounded FOS, but then he always did, just on another tack. I think he was on that Amy Goodman show Democracy Now at some point too, I recall hearing him go own and own there and she was eating that shite up.

Anyway, my wife was totally pissed about all this, he had basically lied to everyone about his life, deceived us all, and being one of his friends through this time and buying his pious line of shite, she felt very betrayed. Apparently this book and his jungle adventurism was his way of seeking forgiveness or atonement or something, not that it ever came from our side. We have not received any cards from them for awhile, I think he and his wife stayed together after his revelations. Interesting too that he always seemed to have significant dinero without having any particular means of obtaining that, sorta half working at various things, I wondered later if that came from "sources."

All this stuff has been going on for decades, against the commies and whomever else now with just another kind of weapon. Some of you might be interested in his book, probably cheepcheep on Amazon used, or maybe at the library. I sorta skimmed it, did not find it too engaging, but YMMV.

--R