Just sent you write-up of evapectomy on my '87 300D in Jun '08.

I think stealer wanted $2600 (may have been $2300) or so to do it. I'll try to find it in archives. My local A/C guy wouldn't do it. Parts, including evaporator, expansion valve, dryer, hoses, vac actuators/modules, (probably some little stuff I don't remember), etc., from Rusty cost about $600.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry T" <l02tur...@comcast.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:11 PM
Subject: [MBZ] W124 AC Problem -- '91 300D 2.5T

Thanks to all for answers to my windshield condensation question.
Now for another, more serious situation - the A/C in my '91 300D is not holding a charge very long. I had it filled last year and it lasted all season but this year it needed another refill but it failed to last more than a month or so - it's still cool but not cold.

As I understand it, the W124 has a history of leaking in the condenser (if that's what's under the dash) ;-) so it sounds like the dash must come out. I could do the dash R&R but the condenser R&R would probably be beyond my ability. It looks like there are lotsof things that can leak behind the dash - the evaporatoror the Heat Exchanger and their related tubing for instance. Looks like the whole dash might need to come out....

At least my windshield condensation problem will be solved! ;-)

Has anyone tried the *Stop Leak* in a can?   Was it successful?

Has anyone had a shop do this work? Any idea what the cost was? I'm in the greater Richmond Va area and labor prices are not too bad so far. I'll call my favorite shop Monday and see what they estimate the cost will be...

Thanks -
LarryT
'91 300D