On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Alex Chamberlain
<apchamberl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think at some point I must have given LinkedIn access to my GMail
> account, because now people from the OkieBenz list seem to be coming up
> randomly in the "People You May Know" list that LinkedIn presents when you
> first log in.  It's interesting to see what people's occupations are, for
> the ones that I didn't already know.  There sees to be a strong bias
> towards IT--software engineers, network admins, etc., which I guess should
> not be a surprise given that IT people love to tinker and appreciate
> well-made machinery.

I've noticed that there's a strong bent of active participants on this list
toward detail-oriented professions.  I suspect that many car people are
this way, and certainly for e-mail lists like ours it probably helps to
keep our interest when each oil thread contains some very slightly
different information. :)

That said, LinkedIn's algorithm is creepy smart.  I have no idea how but
they have strongly recommended people I know from church, and some very
distant business associates, with whom I share no near business connections
and haven't exchanged email from an address LinkedIn knows.  I sometimes
flip through the chart just to see who they suggest, though I'm generally
pretty picky about who my links are.

Best,
-Tim
as you can see from LinkedIn, no longer works for a competitor of Jim