A good learning experience, anyway, even if it doesn't directly produce and offer. 'Good prep for the next one. 'Hope all goes well.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig" <diese...@pisquared.net>
To: "mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 12:34 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Nokomis Interview

Thank you all for your prayers and for your interest in my situation.

I prepared for the interview by reading this morning an article,
"Interview Questions Candidates Should Ask" and searching on Google for
the interviewer's name and his company's name.

The article pointed out that interviewing is a two-way street. You have
to convince the person who is interviewing you that they need to hire
you, but they need to convince you just as much as you need to convince
them. The fit for the position has to go both ways.

The Google search turned up a lot of interesting information and gave me
more insight into the company and their activities than the company's
website did.

My interviewer was relaxed and open in his interviewing and told me what
he was thinking, as if we were friends. I felt little pressure in the
interview. He would make a good supervisor.
The interview was a worthwhile experience I
enjoyed; it taught me more about the need for "fit" in a position.
After talking about our weather and that he had worked here at LANL, he
asked me about my RF experience and the type of engineering work I had
done. also He asked me about my experience with high-power RF amplifiers
and vacuum systems.

He asked me my experiences in proposal writing; I told him about my work
with them at the Lab in a time of falling budgets with one proposal I
wrote being stuck on the desk of a program manager at the Lab's main
Technical Area  and the other being held up by DOE in Washington, D.C.,
where one group to whom the proposal was submitted decided they did not
want to work out the details of classified matter with another DOE group.

He said my CV was quite impressive, but also said he was trying to figure
out where I might fit in at Nokomis.

In our discussions, I mentioned several things I had learned about the
company -- he was impressed by my knowledge of the company. At one point,
I asked about the new building they were supposed to have been in by the
end of 2010. He said they were not in the new building, that things had
not worked out as planned. When I commented, "I understand that,"
referring to my proposals, he laughed, knowing I knew how that felt.

He said that their technical staff write proposals and that they had
considered me to potentially lead up new efforts and act as a scientist
who has a lot of experience to help business developement.

He again said he was trying to figure out where I might fit at Nokomis
and that he wasn't perfectly comfortable right now.

The interview took about one-half hour.

In thinking about the position and what the company did, even before the
interview, I was wondering myself how I might fit in. That came about
because the job ad to which I applied was very generic and did not
mention what one might be doing.

So, the interview was a worthwhile experience I enjoyed; it taught me
more about the need for "fit" in a position. The folks at Nokomis were
impressed by my CV (and even called me because of it) but the fit just
wasn't there. My interviewer said I would hear from them, but my guess it
will probably be from the recruiter and will probably be a "thank you for
applying."

God bless,

Craig