Alex Chamberlain wrote:

Yes, good point.  The current E-class (W212?) is a good example, but
certainly not the only one, of that trend towards an extremely wedgy shape,
where the window line is at an acute angle to the roof, sweeping upward
from the nose.  It's as if all the designers went on a field trip to a
junkyard together and fell in love with a CHOPPED TOP Triumph TR7.

Fixed it for ya. TR7s don't have gun slits for windows, modern rolling bunkers do. I don't know if it's to save the weight of the glass, or to make the doors stronger with a higher place to mount air bags, or styling, or a combination of all three. The problem is I feel like I'm sitting in a German pillbox waiting for the Normandy Invasion to land in front of me.

Mitch.

A lot of them look like armored cars by intent.

I loved the one 108/109 ad MBNA ran in the 70s in newspapers. It showed a family in the car, looking through the windshield. There was so much glass and visibility

Then we lived in an open, confident, secure society.

Now after 20-40 years of the jackass party and the media minions beating on us, they have turned us to a dependent, insecure society run by the new gestapo. every thing we do is saved in the goobermnt vaults to be used against us individually, if they choose. So, you'd better keep you lip zipped. The cars only mimic the society we have.