As a student of history, I recall there was a time when public flogging and
a turn in the public stocks with a sign over your head stating your sin
against humanity was not considered either cruel or unusual, but the
standard of society.

Have we now out civilized ourselves to the point of self destruction?

Certainly to the point where the thread of public moral compass is
dangerously thin, it seems.

Grant...