I wondered why they didn't put electric clutches on the larger engined cars. They are pretty neat & perhaps offer better control of engine temps with a defined on-off signal from the temp switch.

Looked at a W116 300SD for sale once. The owner said he had bolted the fan to the clutch?, so it turned all the time. Not sure that's such an ideal fix though.

Hopefully a new clutch will help. Just looked at new OE MSRP for your 617, whoa!