That's the general idea. Larry, did you try a bit of soapy water on the bushing? That might help slide her in place.

Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'98 ML320 "Max" (168,xxx mi)

On 7/10/2013 10:37 PM, OK Don wrote:
I actually found my shifter bushing installation tool while looking for a
13/32" socket this afternoon, and had the presence of mind to take a
picture of it. The bolt is 5/16" X 1½". The cup like thing (luther used a
PVC pipe cap) is a nut for electrical conduit, ground down to be shorter.
It only needs to be deep enough for the far (tranny) side of the bushing.