I am liking having Vince here. He is full of information that is good to know and has almost no bearing on Gump. So really esoteric for my uses

On Sunday, January 1, 2006, at 07:32 PM, V Layton wrote:

First, let me say the 1985s are the most complicated and vacuum (emmssion) control laden of all the W123 diesels, and I don't know precisely how everything works exactly, but-

The photo (63) -the red circeld bit should have a "Y" that on one end has the small black tube that leads into the firewall, and one going the other way to join other vac lines that travel to the other ide of the motor, this is all for system vacuum venting.

There should not tbe two small black lines going into the firewall, (usually anyway, up to 1984 models I'm sure) one of the small black lines should go to the transmission modulator.

It's possible you pulled that too, thus the rough shifting. The large, hard plastic fixed line from the vac pump to the booster is the main supply for all the car's needed system vacuum, the most important being the brake booster. All other vacuum taps off this. The 1985 turbos have three additional vacuum system controls (and minus 2 others) not found on the pre-'85s. (US turbos) The transmission modulator line should come off the blue vacuum valve control mounted by the driver hood hinge compartment.

How is the brown wire to the shuf-off valve I mentioned? Sounds like you really need a hand vac pump to check for vacuum pump operation (in case of coincidental failure) fuel shut-off valve operation, and vacuum modulator pressure retention. There really should be something obviously unplugged, unless you plugged up the lines wrong or the pump failed, since you now have two major symptoms. On e can also check the ignition vac control operation from supply to fuel shut-off valve by applying the hand tester to the brown supply line off the main line (that goes into the firewall) and checking the operation with the key in both positions. (This avoids having to pull the kick panel) To isolate the fuel shut off valve itself, simply hook your pump into that and test, which it's behavoir will indicate how sealed it is.

I hope that clairfies, there isn't much else I can say without messing around with the car myself.

Vince

www.club123d.org

From: Jason Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] vacume leak/no engine stop
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:23:24 -0600

So there are 2 lines that go into the cabin? A small black line

http://www.pictureblogger.com/Mercedes/dscn0982

and this small black line is supposed to attach to that white thing on the IP?

And a larger black line that does the same thing but connects to a juction where several lines attache?

Sorry, Just want to be sure.

And if this is the case... why won't my car turn off?

Another thing I noticed at the same time was the trany is now shifting really hard. It never did this

This s an 85  123 with 80K miles

Jason