In a message dated 1/2/2006 10:12:41 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I am  going to pick my newly aquired $ 300 tranny up.
Is there something I should  know to look for?
Hans,

Yes, unless a restraining strap has been installed, the torque converter is
likely to fall out on your foot.  Or your helper's.  And when you  install the
used trans, make absolutely sure the torque converter is properly  indexed on
the front pump or physical damage to the front pump and/or torque  converter
will occur.  This may be the most common cause of failure in  installing a MB
(and many other makes) automatic transmission.
NOTE:
There is a dimension in the book that says if you lay a straight edge  across
the front of the trans, the torque converter should be X distance  recessed.
I think it is about 1/2 inch but be sure to confirm that  dimension.

Since the torque converter is easily  removed, I would replace the  front
seal, which is then exposed at the front of the case. Just as a matter of
convenience vs the cost of doing it later if you should find that it  leaks.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 261 K miles