I agree with you entirely except:

1. Most people are idiots or rather they're completely uneducated about
anything having to do with their health.

2. Good information is hard to find even if you are somewhat savvy.

3. Almost nobody has these discussions in advance.

For example I've got a pretty good handle on how my folks feel, my mom is a
death and dying nurse in a veterans nursing home so we've had some pretty
candid conversations. My wife's folks though have provided us pretty much zero
idea and while they don't refuse to talk about it they slide around like
they're greased. My wife is working on a plan to pin them down but its taken a
ton of effort on her part.

Even if the guidelines I mentioned before weren't for doctors to stop providing
care it would be helpful for families when accessing how far they should go.

Ahh, another for instance, my grandmother had her hip replaced 10 years ago
when she was 83, came through with flying colors. Last year she was complaining
about her knees, wanted them replaced too. The doctor told her no, that at 92
it didn't make any sense and she's going to have to get used to some knee pain.
We like that Doc...

-Curt