Dan wrote:
> I recently sold a pretty decent Crapsman lawn tractor with a Kohler 17HP
> engine...

Finally.
Finally you mention what I thought you would have spoken first -
Kohler, which I thought was your employer, and about whom you seem to
rave, in past years.
We have a Bobcat Ransomes 48" walk behind with 14hp Kohler I/C that we
have used for 15 years, purchased new.  Gets around all trees &
shrubs.  Does not lug 150 pound human on it, as it is walk behind.  We
went in to the local shop - use local as you have said, Dan - and we
told him we had 2.5 acres to mow, he looked at me and counseled a walk
behind.  I have legs, my sons have legs, we walk.  Totally
maneuverable moreso than a tractor.  As someone else mentioned, get a
single purpose machine for lawn, then another machine for snow,
if/when.  The Kohler is tight as new, starts no problem, we add
fuel/oil and it just runs.  This is commercial machine that was
expensive, but... it has earned its keep.  We could take it out today
and run it 5 days a week mowing suburban areas - the machine is built
to last 50 years, USA made.
mao