  Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:07:58 -0500
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] Controller Solder Joints
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Howdy -
    The Porsche list has been talking about DME relay failures caused
by
solder joint failures.

Don't know if this is a reflection of German solder or soldering
proceedures, but the control boxes on the 240D & other models (that I'm
less
familiar with) suffer from solder joint failures.  Specifically, the
cruise
control controller and the glow plug relay both can be taken apart and
their
solder joints examined and failed joints re-soldered.  Several email
list
members have done this.  Also, the controllers are sold on a exchange
basis
and I assume they're refurbishing them by restoring the solder joints.

I assume there a spec for the solder mat'l and the proceedure is
probably
defined somehow as the heat needed, time to heat the joint, ?? anything
else?

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net