Eh, your car analogy is orange to my apples. A wheel that needs the equivalent of $5k of work is on the verge of catastrophic failure that you can't ride home on. Spokes are loose and ready to break, your rim has a crack in it, the hub has pitted bearings or blown seals, etc.

The way experienced wheel builders explain it, there are 3 kinds of stress on a wheel. Side to side, rotational, and up/down by gravity. If a wheel isn't built to handle all three types, it will fail prematurely. Unless you are a 90lb rider, you will cause at least one of these types of stress. In my case, it happens to be the combination of my 1100W power and 195-200lb rider/bike combined weight that is torture on rear wheels. I'm onto my second rebuild in just over a year, one cracked rim due to a pothole, and a second dented rim to a pothole that also put a dime sized hole in the sidewall of my tire. My next wheelset will be about 2mm wider allowing for more air to protect me and the rim from the bumps on the road.

Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'98 ML320 "Max" (169,xxx mi)