Benz Hogs wrote:
Maybe. IMO, new technology added more threads to the tire making 700x28s are as comfortable as the old 1-1/4 tire. Also, the tire rubber is thinner and stronger than older tech.

Really?
The tires I bought in the 1980s and 1990s were 66 tpi (Specialized Touring II) and up. Seems like the affordable tires today have heavier casing thread. The Vittoria Zaffiros I got from Nashbar a couple of months ago have thicker rubber in the center than any road tire I used to buy, and I got the idea the casing was coarser than 66tpi. Are you saying that something like a Continental GP is thinner than a GP from 20 years ago?

Mitch.