On Aug 19, 2013, at 7:05 PM, Mitch Haley wrote:

> Dave Cavner wrote:
>> namebench is an open source utility to help you locate the fastest DNS
>> servers for your area. Works with WIN, Mac and Unix.
>> https://code.google.com/p/namebench/
>
> Reran it at 10pm, and ATT's DNS is a good bit of my trouble.
>
> ATT averaged 63ms, with a maximum of...wait for it...1984ms.
>
> Mitch.

Mitch,

At best, it's useful as a rough guide. I should have included a disclaimer that
the software hasn't been updated in years to include newer DNS services or
expanded IP ranges for Google, PayPal, etc. so you will see some error messages
that aren't valid.

Also, from the namebench FAQ:

"Why do I get different results each time I run namebench.

The first run is the one that is most likely to be accurate. The more times to
run namebench, the more likely you are to be repeating the same queries over
and over again. This will skew your results toward the closest nameserver to
you, rather than the one most likely to have your requests cached during normal
operations...."

Dave
'82 240D (3 pedal), '84 300TD (Euro), '85 300TD (Cali)