If money didn't matter, then yeah I would spend $500 on a proper one but I have 20 dollar special sitting here (well outside) and we never really use more than 50% of the available power of the engine, we do have speed limits which seem to be getting lower and lower. My thinking is that MB designed the system to work 100% at redline and it is only last bit I intend to alter.
Here are some diagrams of the system
http://www.mrexhaust.co.uk/exhausts/mercedes/230e--t124/23-05860990-estate_1900.htm
http://www.mrexhaust.co.uk/exhausts/mercedes/300e--t124/30-05860990-estate_1934.htm
As you can see the system gets smaller as it goes along, starts with two pipe and then goes down to one. Question is will a 3 litre engine at 3000 rpm put out more exhaust gases than a 2.3 at 6000? My maths says no but I have been wrong before.

Hendrik
who is a scrooge and might make an muffler out of an old microwave