Thanks to all for the input.

I did obtain the VIN of the '82 240D that the engine is currently sitting in.
It's: WDBAB23AXCB314258

If anyone would run a CarFax on it, that'd be great.

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Used Engines from Tri-Star
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:35:27 -0500

snip

You might also ask Tri-Star for the engine #  and if possible, the VIN of
the car it was removed from.  With the VIN a Carfax *might* tell you
something about the condition of the engine, or it might not.  If you get
the engine # *and* the VIN you should be able to determine if that engine
actually came out of that VIN.  It might not be possible to tell if that
*exact* engine came from the VIN they provided but MBNA *might* have some
info to help correlate the 2 numbers together.   But gathering more info is
never a bad thing.  There's also a possibility Tri-Star will tell you that
info is not available.  If nothing else, Tri-Star will see you're not going
into this blindly.

snip