No, no. Strong Drink will likely be the saviour of Western Civilization. Strong Drink lets us cut through the fog of all sorts of lunacy; musical, political, social, etc.; that and the profound contemplation achieved while fishing.
Gerry

Most definitely this lunatic music is the root cause of the Decline of Western Civilization. That, and Strong Drink.

--R (sent from my miniPad)

On Aug 24, 2013, at 5:25 PM, "Gerry Archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

The broad field of nonsense music from which all modern music is derives actually began in the 1920s with a South African song written by a Zulu:

"Mbube" (Zulu: lion) was written in the 1920s by Solomon Linda, a South African singer of Zulu origin, who worked for the Gallo Record Company as a cleaner and record packer, and who performed with a choir, The Evening Birds, where, according to South African journalist Rian Malan: "Mbube" wasn't the most remarkable tune, but there was something terribly compelling about the underlying chant, a dense meshing of low male voices above which Solomon yodelled and howled for two exhilarating minutes, occasionally making it up as he went along. The third take was the great one, but it achieved immortality only in its dying seconds, when Solly [Solomon Linda] took a deep breath, opened his mouth and improvised the melody that the world now associates with these words:
'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight.'
Linda's improvised melody was wordless; no English words occur in the recording. Issued by Gallo as a 78 recording in 1939 and marketed to black audiences, "Mbube" became a hit and Linda a star throughout South Africa. By 1948, the song had sold about 100,000 copies in Africa and among black South African immigrants in Great Britain and had lent its name to a style of African a cappella music that evolved into isicathamiya (also called mbube), popularized by Ladysmith Black Mambazo.....snip"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=_LBmUwi6mEo&feature=endscreen

As everyone knows this led to scream music, ( Barbra Streisand and others), which has become the current female standard; and all the infinitely variegated forms of lunatic music (Grateful Dead, Punk, etc.) as a primary cause of the current decline of Western Civilization.

Ou only hope is to go back to "real music" as best demonstrated by Lawrence Welk.

Gerry....tic

From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>

I am out working on my addition, listening to KPFT Houston streaming over the tubernets, and they just played a set of songs about Louie Louie. How many of y'all remember Louie Louie by the Kingsmen? It caused all kinds of stir, clearly the commienists were behind it, subverting the morals of Merkin youth with that filthy rocknroll trash. We knew it had dirty lyrics but no one could figure out what they were.

We would spontaneously break into playing that in band class in jr high, the band teacher Mr. Broome who was about 5ft tall and wide, and who hated that song with a passion (which of course became the lore of Mr. Broome that all kids knew, passed along, remembered, etc.) would go into an altered state when he heard us playing it before class started. It was the most awesome thing about band class. I think it was the only song we all learned to play without music and a band leader, go figure.

After the first two years there he retired, another guy took over, a young guy, we tried that once and he had no issue with it so it just faded away.... but then the Laugh In song became popular and he had issues with that, so of course what did we do!

--R

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----