It depends on the size of your hands. If they are smallish you can change the pods out by removing the blade insert and the glove box liner. By working through both openings it can be done but is not easy. I changed a pair in about 4-5 hours the only time I've done it. You can remove the pods and change the rubber diaphram but the plastic gets brittle and they tend to break, so I would just change the pod out. Before doing any of this test them with a Mity Vac. They will hold vacuum and you can hear them opening if they are operable.
The other alternative is dash removal, I have no experience with this.

Alan Duff
Knoxville, TN
I vaguely recall the procedure for getting at the vents but am unable to get
to the archives to read about it!  Any suggestions??

Sincerely,
Larry T (78 240D)