My buddy in high school had a Checker cab his dad bought at a charity auction for $500. It had been cleaned up and painted baby blue. He gave everyone rides home in it, could get at least 8 or 10 kids in there with the jump seats that folded down in the back. He drove it for a coupla years then his sister got it and drove it through HS, I think it finally just died and they got a new Toyota Celica, the first one. The guy had told his dad it was "sporty" and could be driven hard. It was new one summer when he came home from college, he thrashed the hell out of the thing, being as it was "sporty" but it pretty much held up for a few years.

--R