On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 23:26:50 -0700 G Mann <g2ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I miss-spoke.. it's been a long day.. 36,000 acres.. give or take.. and
> it's not square.. the survey party was likely drunk or dehydrated.. ha..

Like those "surveyors" who were marking the southern border of Arizona
from east to west. They were SUPPOSED to continue heading straight west,
but just after Nogales, they decided they did not want to do that because
it was too hot and turned to head to Yuma.

They cheated Arizona out of an ocean-going port. One can only wonder how
things would have turned out had they kept to their assigned mission.

> Survey points run from mountain top to mountain top and along stream
> beds in some places.. so it's not like a city lot.. all nice and neat..
> Some of the border is defined by Bureau of Land Management..... so who
> really knows what wound their watch.. Last survey was in 1952 and all
> major points are marked with 2 inch steel shafts.. I've located most of
> them...

In other parts of the West, boundaries typically go on section lines, but
with mountains, I can see how doing things differently would be better.

> It seems like a lot, but actually as ranches go in this area, it's a
> little one..
> Desert land.. not much water.. little graze. takes many acres to feed
> one animal.. maybe.
>
> The main product is peace and quiet from a irritating public.. Hope this
> satisfies all who are curious.

Not quite. How did you come into such a spread?

Craig