On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:55:22 -0400 Andrew Strasfogel
<astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:59:12 -0400 Andrew Strasfogel>
> > <astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Sounds like a great plot for a modern day Edgar Allen Poe story.
> > "The pit in the garage".
> >
> > Bricks in a hole?  I'm thinking Amontillado, not pendulum.
>
> Maybe.  How would you adapt it to modern life, centered on an amateur
> mechanic too cheap to buy a lift?.

And that with no wine! The mover of the Cask of Amontillado was a man who
wanted to murder a drunk and tempted him with a tale of rare wine hidden
in a cellar. Once the drunk was in place, he proceeded to erect a wall of
brick closing him in. The plot twist was that the drunk really did find
Amontillado and was talking with the murderer as the wall was going up,
saying that he had found and was drinking the wine. At the end, years
later, the murderer sees that the wall is still up and wonders about the
wine.

Now, indeed, how would you adapt it to modern life, centered on an amateur
mechanic too cheap to buy a lift?. Well, for starters and centering on
cheap, one would replace the wine with beer. The rest of the story would
involve covering over the pit, but how to keep "Bubba" alive and talking
until the work is finished would have to be resolved.

Craig