Yeah that is a different kind of crab trap, but not like the baited lobstah-type pots you sit on the bottom with a float. THe crab pots have smaller openings.

--R

On 9/12/13 5:10 PM, Gerry Archer wrote:
In the late 1940s we went crabbing and mullet snatching on the Clearwater
Causeway.  (Dan knows where it is.)  We dropped our crab traps off low
seawalls. The four wire mesh sides of the traps, which were connected to a
rope, dropped open and the crabs simply walked in and started eating the
fishheads.  The water was so clear, we could watch them, and when several
had piled up trying to get to the bait, we pulled up the rope which closed
the sides and then lifted the trap, collected the crabs, and let the trap
down for another batch.
If the tide was running, we would snatch mullet with a large weighted four prong hook as they streamed under a low bridge. There were so many fish and
crabs, poor people could depend on them for the meat in their diet year
'round if they weren't too far from the water.  Those were the "good old
days".

I don't know what a crab pot is unless it's the same as a lobster pot.
Gerry

From: "Curt Raymond" <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Which reminds me, have any of you ever actually gone crabbing?
My wife told me this "crab pot theory" where if a crab manages to climb to
the top of the pot and hook a claw over to climb out all the other crabs
will grab on to it in an attempt to also climb out thus dooming the whole
lot to the pot as the weight is too much for the one and everybody falls
back in.
I'm curious if that actually happens...
-Curt