I have fond memories of visiting my great aunt and uncle and hearing about
days gone by from the 1930s-1940s.  One of the most humorous things as a
youngster was when I saw a picture of them before they had white hair.  I
had never thought about it before because their hair had turned white
before I was born.  I think for some the war days would be things they may
not wish to recall so not asking does not seem like a big deal.  Neither of
my grandfathers ever talked about it.