To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 7:26 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Tire Longevity (was quality)

My brother, a trucker, has a 2WD explorer, short wheelbase 5-speed as his family car. He has 114k miles on the original equipment tires. They have about 45% of their tread left. He hates them now, and has always hated them, saying they're like driving on hard plastic--very little grip. He said he'd gladly replace tires every 50k miles for some grab. He belies his words, though, as he's too cheap to throw these out and get new ones, and will probably see the Explorer dissolve of rust before he runs out of tread.

I think the answer is that people have gotten much more attentive to traction ratings, tires have gotten more performance-biased, and in general, sticky tires wear faster.

Dan
--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD conversion 186k