On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:43:47 -0700 "Greg Fiorentino"
<gf...@dslnorthwest.net> wrote:

> It should never have come to this.
>
> Both sides are employing similar tactics of "take no prisoners".

No, actually they are not. The Republicans have passed three bills, the
first to fund all of the government, the other two to fund separate
important parts of the government. The Senate Dems are the ones who are
being intransigent. And why? All so we the people, the ordinary Joes, do
not get a year's delay in the implementation of Obamacare like businesses.
And we get all our personal information turned over to the IRS and
"registrars" and thence, because of lax computer security, to the world.

> When the president rammed through the ACA over the objections of the
> republicans (at a time when he SHOULD have been devoting all of his
> energy to turning the economy around), his comment was "Elections have
> consequences".... Since the House has the constitutional mandate
> (because of the tradition in British government) to be the primary
> authority on budget matters, the 2010 election also had consequences.

Yes, Obama wasn't the only one who was elected. In fact the House of
Representatives is elected twice as often as the presidency.

> The shutdown also has a rich tradition, having occurred some 17 times
> since the Gerald Ford administration; so has become yet another
> tried-and-true method to "encourage" negotiation and compromise.

Yes, Tip O'Neill had 5 shutdowns while he was speaker.

Craig