Yeah, but MacBooks get HOT before the fans kick on, and I firmly believe the stress on the solder is a leading cause of failures (this is true of PC laptops and even cards using the same video chips). Chip temps get up to 100C before you know it, and hotter yet in heavy use.

The cure is the best thermal paste you can find and using a utility to keep them from heating up so much, seems to keep them running much longer. If you can stand actually hearing the fans run, which doesn't bother me at all, they probably won't fail again. Leave the fans idling along as the chip approaches solder melting temps, you are asking for trouble.

Peter