Allan wrote:
> Is it possible to buy a quality dial-type mechanical kitchen timer
> anymore?

I did the same search 10 years ago.  All china.
I found a vintage USA Kodak photo lab timer that sits on our kitchen
counter.  from ebay.  Clearly marked USA and all mechanical and metal
housing.  Not kitchen fancy but it serves other desires such as NOT
china.  Not that I have a beef with china, but the stuff from there is
not durable and it has driven me and many of my neighbors out of the
workplace which seems to be a money class penchant.
mao