On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM, clay <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> They should have left the Trojan plant active.  Damn green weenees.  Could
> have cheap electrons and high tech jobs.

Yup.  And the latter is what I agitate for whenever I go to a town meeting
or "yell at your state congresscritter" type of event. People here are
mostly stuck on the idea that the only thing that will fix the economic
problems of the rural Northwest, which has been a mess for twenty-some
years, is for federal restrictions on logging to be lifted, bringing all
the old timber jobs back. Ain't gonna happen, sez I.   I don't want
Columbia County to turn into the next Silicon Forest with an Intel chip
plant around every corner, but it has potential to become a high-tech
telecommuting hub, if people would get their act together and extend the
Internet backbone that runs down the I-5 corridor out along the Columbia.
 Or we could become leaders in biodiesel production or something.  Just as
long as it's forward-looking, not backward.

Alex