  Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:12:43 -0600
From: Dan Weeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] KB-7s, was shift patterns, was dogleg trans
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

They ARE quite a beast. My brother owns two, a '42 stake body and a
'48 gin pole. He wanted to take both to the Antique Truck Historical
Society nationals this summer, so I got to drive the '42, towing his
Ford Explorer as a dinghy. Never felt the Explorer back there. It
would cruise at 55, eventually, but liked 45 better. I had a blast
driving the thing. Once you got used to the weird gears, and if you
can double-clutch, it was pretty easy to drive, with relatively light
steering and very strong brakes. Not quiet or smooth, by any means,
but the crank-open windshield sure is great for keeping cool.  I want
one on my non-ac-equipped vanagon! Wouldn't mind ten gears in that
one, either.

--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD conversion 186k